Bringing Children To Jesus
I. Jesus and Children
A. Jesus was extremely busy during the time of His ministry.
1. Jesus was truly pressed for time, dealing with real needs, the essential kingdom business.
2. John 21:25
B. The disciples knew how valuable His time was.
1. Important people wanted His time (John 3:1, 4:46; Luke 7:3, 23:8)
2. They tried to screen out those they didn’t feel were quite so important
a. Mark 10:46, ff.
b. Matthew 19:13-15; Luke 18:15,16
C. Jesus took time for children.
1. He indicated their great value. (Matt. 18:1-6)
2. The Holy Spirit intended for us to be aware of the value of children to God.
3. Perhaps Jesus has this message for us about children:
a. Children are worthy of our time.
b. Children are blessed by coming to Jesus.
c. Children are to be valued by His body, the church
II. Bringing children to Jesus.
A. God places on the parents the obligation of teaching the children to know Him
(Deut. 6:6,7; Eph 6:4)
B. The church can – and should – participate in helping parents achieve that objective
1. In order to accomplish this, we utilize times of age-appropriate Bible study
2. This requires participation of its members to make this effective
III. Teaching in Bible classes is great service!
A. Service to the children
1. Instilling knowledge
2. Sharing faith, Heb 11:1
B. Service to parents
1. Adds reinforcing voice for Christian parents
2. For those not from Christian homes, teaching is a very effective tool of evangelism.
C. Service to the church
1. Exercising gift (Romans 12:6,7)
2. Being part of what God gives the church (Eph 4:11-13)
3. Helps bring up stronger, more Biblically grounded generation of Christians
D. Service to Christ
1. We allow children to “come to Jesus,” experience His teachings
2. “Whoever receives such a child in my name receives me.” (Matt. 18:5)
A. We must value children no less than Jesus did.
1. They were a focus of His important work on earth.
2. As parents, we must value our own children enough to bring them to Christ.
3. As a church, we must value, make time for, the children who we can influence for Christ
B. We must mimic children, as Jesus commands us, in order to be in His kingdom.
December 13, 2009